How To Pick A Pet Sitter
Finding the right pet sitter for your favorite critter requires an initial investment of time and energy. It’s super important to set up calls and in-person meetings and to check references for anyone you are considering hiring. Initial consultations are a must! You need to know that you can trust the individual who will be looking after your pets.
Some people need a lot of information before making a decision, while other people simply rely on gut instinct. Whatever your preferences, here is a VERY preliminary checklist of interview questions from Pet Sitters International to help you screen potential pet sitters:
- Does the pet sitter (or agency) keep regular office hours? If you left a voice message or sent an email, how soon was it returned?
- How much notice do they need to schedule your request for a pet sitter?
- Does the pet sitter (or agency) have established fees for pet care they can quote over the phone or on their website?
- Are they bonded and insured?
- Will they meet with you and your pet(s) in advance? Is there a fee for this in-home meeting?
- What kind of training or background does the pet sitter have? How much experience do they have in caring for your type of animal?
- Do they have a list of references that they are happy and willing to share?
- Do they use a service contract that outlines services performed and related fees?
- How much time will the pet sitter spend caring for your pet(s)?
- What happens in the event of inclement weather?
- What is the pet sitter’s policy if medical care is needed for your pet?
- How will they confirm your safe and you are on-time and have returned home?
- Will you receive a schedule of your pet’s activities while you were away?
- What are the payment terms?